South of the church is the galleried Brick Alley Almshouse (1718) which reputedly replaced an earlier almshouse built prior to 1417 by Geoffrey Barbour, a builder of Abingdon Bridge. Barbour intended his almshouse as a place of shelter and refuge for the homeless poor. Rebuilding Brick Alley, completed by 1720, cost £632. Excellent workmanship was provided by Samuel Westbrooke, mason, and Charles Etty, carpenter, two well-known, skilled Abingdon craftsmen who worked on Mr Twitty’s Almshouse and Abingdon Guildhall.